Sunday, May 16, 2010

Since my last update, I finished varnishing the oars (five coats), and finished painting the floorboards. The final coat of paint on the floorboards had non skid compound mixed with the paint. In between paint coats on the floorboards I laced the oar leathers on the shafts. The leather kits came with a strip of thick steer hide. to make the buttons, but there was not enough to do all four oars. I spent yesterday learning to tie turks head knots and completed the oars with them instead of the leather strips. The opposite end of the leather was served with whipping twine to help keep the leather from curling up.