Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sweating the small stuff

This past Wednesday My brother and I glued up the starboard rub rail. Thursday and Friday were spent sanding the rub rail and the top strake of the hull even (there were a few high spots). On Saturday I starting on the spacers between the out-wale and in-wale. I cut these shortly after I picked up the cypress lumber, but they have been stored in a bucket for a few months. I made a template from some scrap plywood and drilled two 1/4" holes in each block in which short dowels were glued when the blocks were epoxy coated. The template was then used to drill the top strake at each block location on the hull. I was able to get ten of the blocks glued to the boat yesterday and finished the remaining blocks this morning, along with a short piece of wood in the bow that will serve as a backing plate for the bow eye. Yesterday I also glued up the mahogany for the wooden blocks into which the oarlock sockets will mount. There are four of these blocks. Each one is made up of three pieces of wood 6"x1"x1 1/4". Today, after I completed the blocks I started cleaning up the excess glue that I wasn't able to scrape off yesterday and cut the corners off the top edge of the blocks . When I sanded the excess glue off the blocks I also removed most of the first coat of epoxy, so they were re-coated this afternoon. The oarlock blocks will be glued to the tomorrow so I can begin work on the in-wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment